For over 80 years the people of our communities have been helping each other make dreams come true.
- Dreams of starting a successful business.
- Dreams of owning a home.
- Dreams of creating a strong foundation for future generations.
And they’ve done it with GECU’s philosophy of people helping people.
In 1932, 11 El Paso civil servants pooled $5 each to form a credit union. Today GECU is the largest and one of the strongest locally-owned financial institutions in the city we call home with more than 340,000 members, 18 branches, and over $2 billion in assets.
Become a GECU Member
Becoming a GECU member is easy. You can join if you live or work in El Paso County, Hudspeth County or Doña Ana County not more than 25 miles from our 1500 North Resler Branch. To establish your membership, you must open, deposit and maintain $20 in a GECU Share Account. That represents your share in GECU.
It’s Easy to Become a GECU Member
Here’s how ...
- Bring a current, valid picture ID.
- Open a personal savings account ($20 to open) representing your share in GECU.
- Remember, your deposits are federally insured by NCUA up to $250,000.
To join, simply visit any of GECU’s neighborhood branches and you’re on your way to becoming a member and an owner of GECU.
When you’re a GECU member, you’ll enjoy these benefits ...
- Savings and Certificates of Deposit accounts to help you become financially independent for a secure future for you and your family.
- Competitive vehicle loans with payments and terms that meet your budget.
- No monthly service fee checking account with free online banking.
- Competitive interest rates on mortgage loans.
- Home equity/home improvement loans for property located in the United States within a 150 mile radius of El Paso County, to include Hudspeth County, up to the international border, not to include Mexico.
- Service and account information available by phone, your pc, laptop, tablet or your mobile device*.
- Convenient access to your money with a wide network of local GECU surcharge free and CO-OP Network ATMs nationwide.
- Direct deposit of all government checks and most large El Paso area employers.
- GECU membership is available to everyone in your family.
- "Once a member, always a member" is our policy. Just keep your share account open with $20 and you'll be eligible for all GECU services even if you move out of town.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT OPENING A NEW ACCOUNT.
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means to you:
When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver's license or other identifying documents.
*No charge to access these services from GECU. Standard text messaging and data rates may apply.