Visit any VITA site throughout the El Paso community and our certified, bilingual volunteers will be ready to help qualifying families file their taxes free of charge. We’ve helped our community save more than $22.9 million in tax-preparation fees since 2014 and VITA is here to help you next. You can even file your taxes online at freetaxeselpaso.org
All of our VITA sites are in-person locations. The GECU VITA Supersite at Eastridge Plaza offers drop-off and in-person services.
DROP-OFF OPTION (SUPERSITE ONLY)
Stop by our GECU VITA Supersite at Eastridge Plaza to fill out an intake form and drop off all of your documents.** Your tax return will be ready to be picked up in 48 hours — quick and easy!
Find a VITA site near you and see the dates and times by visiting freetaxeselpaso.org or dialing 211.
WHAT TO BRING***
- Original and current proof of identification (photo ID) for you and your spouse (VITA is unable to file taxes for married couples that are filing separately)
- Original Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents, or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birthdates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earnings statements (W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc. forms) from all employers
- Unemployment benefits (Form 1099-G)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account, routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- To file taxes electronically on a Married Filing Jointly tax return, both spouses must be present to sign required forms
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number, such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- If you’re an identity-theft victim, bring your current IRS PIN letter
- If you do not have a Social Security number, an official Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be used for you, your spouse and dependents
- Official proof of foreign status if applying for an ITIN
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
VITA Quick Facts
Online Self-serve Tax Preparation
- The Free Tax Assist program is an online program that began in 2013 in the El Paso community brought to us by the IRS.
- The Free Tax Assist program offers free online self-tax preparation to taxpayers that earn $73,000 or less.
- The taxpayer can select the online tax vendor of their choice, free of charge.
- IRS-trained volunteers are available to help answer questions via phone or email.
Face-to-face Tax Preparation
- The VITA face-to-face option began in 2003.
- Taxes are filed free of charge by IRS-trained volunteers.
- Taxpayers who earn $65,000 or less qualify for this tax assistance program.
- The VITA program offers a face-to-face meeting with a trained tax preparer at many locations throughout the El Paso area. Dial 211 for a site near you and dates and times.
Earned Income Tax Credit
- Earned Income Tax Credit is a federal tax credit for low- and moderate-income community members.
- This credit supports working taxpayers and helps offset federal payroll and income taxes.
- This tax credit may help taxpayers get an additional refund.
- Those with low-to-moderate income who work or own their own business with annual incomes under $59,187 qualify for this service. Other requirements apply. Ask a VITA volunteer to see if you qualify.
- Tax preparers can do a three-year lookback and the taxpayer can receive thousands of dollars in a refund.
*For qualifying households.
**If you are filing as a married couple, both taxpayers need to be present.
***Please visit freetaxeselpaso.org for updates before visiting a location and for a complete listing of what to bring. Tax filing for Married Filing Separate, Out of State, Rental Properties or Self-Employment Income with expenses of more than $35,000 is not supported with VITA. Copies of Social Security cards, IDs, ITINs or previous tax returns will not be accepted.